EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR – JOB DESCRIPTION
ABOUT THE GOLDEN STATE SALMON ASSOCIATION
The Golden State Salmon Association‘s mission is to restore California salmon for their economic, recreational, commercial, environmental, cultural and health values. Salmon require healthy riparian ecosystems. In supporting salmon, GSSA provides benefits to hundreds of species that are also dependent on cool, clean freshwater. GSSA works to help restore habitat and improve hatchery operations.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Executive Director leads operations and oversees the GSSA team including the head of marketing, administration and events director, and various contractors and consultants. The Executive Director leads policy initiatives, communications, and fundraising efforts. The Executive Director actively works in collaboration with a number of partners and the Board of Directors.
As the most senior member of the organization, the Executive Director will collaborate with donors, regulators, politicians, fishermen and women, legal partners, environmental groups, and industry representatives to advance GSSA’s mission to restore California salmon. GSSA’s current Executive Director will remain involved to train and orient his replacement.
- Hold and develop a deep understanding of salmon and their interaction with California ecosystems
- Foster and encourage a genuine interest in California Central Valley water operations and statewide water agencies and ecosystem services
Policy & Advocacy
- Serve as the face of the organization to the public through official and unofficial events and serve as the primary point of contact for the media
- Collaborate closely with policy consultants and represent the organization with state, federal, and local officials in achieving GSSA’s policy objectives
- Generate most of the written, public-facing content of GSSA including a monthly newsletter and quarterly report
Fundraising & Membership
- Develop and manage relationships with donors as a representative of GSSA
- Grow membership and identify new sources of funding for GSSA in accordance with the organization’s strategic plan
- Partner with the Board of Directors to develop annual strategic planning sessions and budget and quarterly Board Meetings to drive initiatives towards the organization’s vision
- Lead and serve the staff including all contractors and consultants
GSSA welcomes expressions of interest from candidates with the expertise and ability to deliver against the above responsibilities, and has identified the following characteristics as indicative of the abilities, aptitudes, and dispositions that will make for success in this role:
- Passionate and knowledgeable about salmon and CA state and federal water agencies, networks, and policies;
- Experienced in leading fundraising, public policy, advocacy campaigning, grassroots initiatives and press relations on behalf of a membership-based organization;
- Confident representing an organization to donors and communities; individually, and within broadcasts and public events;
- Practiced in producing copy and organizational collateral for a range of audiences and platforms including websites, social media, fundraising initiatives, and newsletters;
- Experienced in leading staff, consultants, stakeholders, and Board members in organizational strategy and vision.
This is a full-time salaried position. Compensation will be within the range of $103,000 – $167,000, depending on experience.
HOW TO APPLY
The Golden State Salmon Association has retained OE Consulting to support this search.
In order to apply, please submit a resume and thoughtful cover letter that explains your interest and addresses your relevant qualifications. Applicants may expect an email from OE Consulting confirming receipt.
Applicants will receive full consideration without discrimination on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Please refrain from contacting The Golden State Salmon Association about this opportunity, and direct any questions to OE Consulting at (GSSA@oeconsulting.com). Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Submit your resume and cover letter HERE